Tuesday, June 21, 2016

So You Think You Might Peek Too Soon?

Hello everyone!

I recently watched the newest episodes of the dance television show, So You Think You Can Dance. To my surprise, the contestants auditioning this season were much younger than in past seasons. I was kind of annoyed (I apologize for my blatant use of slang) by the new concept. Here's what the FOX website has to say about the new version of the show. 

FOX has renewed the Emmy Award-winning SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE (SYTYCD) for a 13th season that will feature a younger generation of dancers. This season, dancers between the ages of 8-13, who are skilled in various dance styles, such as contemporary, tap, hip-hop, ballroom, animation or breaking, will be paired up with All-Stars to compete for the title of America’s Favorite Dancer. 
No one initially likes change. For example, I was uninterested in the "new generation," and I was going to purposely not watch the show.

Then, a few days ago, I heard some family friends talking about how great it was, so I decided to get off my concert dance high horse and watch. 

I loved the show! Shocker, I know. The kids were adorable, talented, diverse, and most importantly, passionate about dance. It was inspriring to see young dancers who knew they wanted a dance career at such a young age. I was this way. By the age of 10, I knew dancing was my passion and that I needed to pursue it. 

However, when I was younger, I did not dance at the level of the kids I watched. They were way better than I was! They were doing 5 pirouettes, insane leg extensions, and challenging floor work. 

The problem is that dancing is not just about technical/physical impressiveness. It is also about movement quality, storytelling, emotion, and self-expression. The kids last night were dancing at an extremely high technical level, but lacked quality and artistry. 

Their dancing lacked genuine emotion and refined quality because they haven't had enough time to train these skills. The majority of the dancers are not mature enough to work on artistry. 

The talent I saw last night was incredible, but the dancers need to remember that So You Think You Can Dance is not the peak of their careers. TV time is short lived and cannot be their reason for dancing. A moment in the spotlight fades away. These kids need to continue to work hard after the show ends. 

Peaking too soon is my biggest concern for these kids. They will become complacent in their training or burn out because they received too much career success too soon.

I had to work hard for many years to hone my skills and develop great technique. I improved and grew every year. Constant evolution kept me coming back into the studio. Each day, week, and month I was improving and doing things I couldn't do before. 

These kids already have the skills that take years to master. They have received lots of recognition on social media for their natural abilities. If skills come too easily to young kids, they forget they must work hard to continue being amazing.

Although I appreciate that SYTYCD brings high level dance to the masses, the "Next Generation," exposure is detrimental to the long-term careers of America's most talented kiddos. 

Are you a fan of the show? What do you think?

Until next time!




1 comment:

  1. I've never seen the show - but I do agree that a moment in the spotlight fades fast, good advice! xo

    ReplyDelete