Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Trust is a Must

I want to use this post as an opportunity for you to get to know me. Once you do, I hope you'll feel like you can trust me when we go full speed ahead into the daily practicality of my blog, Pointe of View. 

Let's start with my vision. I was born with genetic defect called nystagmus. Doctors call it "Dancing Eyes." This odd name is actually perfect for me and just means that my eyes shake back and fourth uncontrollably. 

I was also born legally blind, color blind, and have cone dystrophy, which means that my eyes are extremely light sensitive. I wear very dark, tinted contact lenses and have to wear sunglasses outside.

My vision used to be a negative burden in my life. I was teased in school because I was always squinting and looking at people funny to see them clearly. I think people also thought I was kind of a stuck up, diva because I always wore sunglasses and wouldn't acknowledge them if they waved at me from afar. As I've gotten older though, I've begun thinking of my vision as one of my unique and distinguishable qualities. It gives me a story to tell and has forced me to work harder to achieve what I truly want.

All right, we've covered my vision. Now we can move on to some background information on my life (I am mentioning this small personal history because I attribute much of who I am to my family and upbringing). 

I was born in a small town in the San Joaquin Valley of California, called Visalia. Don't worry if you have never heard of it, most people haven't. I had a wonderful childhood. My parents mainstreamed me in Christian and then public schools before we moved to the San Diego area when I was 14. 

My parents put me in dance classes at age 8. Dance was the only extracurricular I could do because I wasn't much of a singer and sports were not an option. I'm still deathly afraid of participating in any type of sport or ball game.

We moved to San Diego for many reasons, but my dance training was the big contributing factor. This relocation was proof of my parent's sacrifice for my dance training. They supported me and my dancing dream 100%. I am so grateful for having a family that put my dream first. What a blessing! 

After we moved, I started high school at the San Diego School of the Creative and Performing Arts. I trained intensly during my high school years in classical ballet, modern, and contemporary dance. In college, I continued training mainly in those three areas but have dabbled in ballroom, jazz, West African, and improvisation. I am passionate about concert style dance. My dream is to dance in a renowned contemporary ballet company that tours internationally.

I have chosen a career path that is extremely competitive and physically demanding, yet I believe I am up for the challenge. My life thus far has prepared me for this exciting but also scary career. 

Okay, the lengthy "me" narrative is done! Now, we can start focusing on what I can do for YOU. Things are about to get exciting. From now on, each post in Pointe of View will be geared toward a specific roadblock we have probably all faced. 

Post topics to come:

  • Step out to stand out
  • Feel it, don't see it
  • Think on your toes
  • Fake it til you make it
  • Stay grounded
  • Everyday is an audition
  • Mirror, mirror on the wall
  • Stretching yourself too thin?
  • The perfect turn out

Please stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment