Tuesday, June 28, 2016

The Dancer Diet, Not Tutu Thin

Hey readers!

I am super excited about today's post! Today is all about food! I am going to explain what a professional dancer diet looks like. We eat healthy but equally satisfying foods that help maintain a lean, strong, and energized physique.

Below is a sample diet. I would eat this way on a day with lots of physical activity. I would have ballet class in the morning, rehearsal most of the day and Pilates class in the evening. 

Meal 1. Dancers must eat breakfast. It is crucial to get your energy up before class. Start the day with foods dense in vitamins and nutrients. 
  • Green Juice: I always have a 1915 Bolthouse Farms cold pressed juice. I like the apple, romaine, cucumber, spinach, kale, and lemon flavor. It is refreshing and slightly sweet.
  • Banana and PB: I love bananas and peanut butter together. I like the Jif-To-Go packages of peanut butter. These prevent that occasional peanut butter binge. All you need is a knife to spread a little peanut butter onto your perfectly ripe banana. Dancers love bananas because of the potassium. It soothes and relaxes sore muscles. Peanut butter is great too because its packed with protein and healthy fat. 
  • Coffee: Coffee equals energy. Peet's House Blend is my go to roast. I combine unsweetened almond milk with my coffee because its low calorie and tastes just as good as dairy milk to me. Never forget the Splenda (it is bad for you but I'm hooked). Truvia and/or Stevia are healthier alternatives. 
Meal 2. Dancers' lunch breaks are pretty short so you have to get something quick but filling. 
  • Superfood salad: Kale salad with chicken, tomatoes, cucumber, quinoa, cranberries, feta, sweet potatoes, and pumpkin seeds. This is one of my favorite combinations. This salad has so many textures and flavors. Not to mention all of the nutrients, carbs, proteins, and fats that I need. When in NYC I order from Just Salad, or Sweet Green. When I'm really in a hurry I make my own at Whole Foods. 
  • Le Croix Sparkling Water: Sparkling, flavored water mimics soda. It is super refreshing and flavorful. You can also drink as many as you want! I have two to three per day. The best flavors are lemon and grapefruit. 
  • Side of fruit: I like to finish lunch with something sweet. I pack a nectarine sometimes. They are refreshing and delicious. Cherries are another favorite. They are tart and have tons of fiber.
Snacks are dancers' best friends. I need snacks in between rehearsals and before performances. Here are some snack options. 
  • 1 cup or so of blueberries will give you a boost of antioxidants. They are the most nutritious berry in the family. 
  • A few cups of popcorn is a yummy and crunchy form of carbs to give you some energy.
  • 1/4 cup of roasted, unsalted almonds is an anti-inflammatory option with healthy fat and protein. 
  • 1 apple a day keeps the doctor away. Honey crisp apples are the absolute best!
  • Veggies and hummus are guilt free and satisfying. Mini bell peppers dipped in Sabra Roasted Pine Nut Hummus fit my snack bill.
  • If your going to eat a bar stick with a really natural brand like Larabars or Kind bars. Some protein bars on the market are super processed and are justified candy bars. Save your calories for desert, which comes a little later.
Well deserved dinner. There is nothing better than getting home and eating a great dinner with your feet up. 
  • Pan seared Salmon: I sauté pre-marinated salmon in a non-stick pan with olive oil. Salmon is high in protein and in amino fatty acids. These acids are great for your skin and hair.
  • Over roasted veggies: Bake chunks of broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, and butternut quash in a 450 degree oven. I put salt, pepper, and olive oil on them and cook them for about half an hour. These are so good, I could eat the whole sheet pan. 
  • Bedtime tea: Decaffeinated tea gets me relaxed and ready for bed. Its a really healthy ritual to get in the habit of because it acts as a cleanse and keeps you hydrated during the night. Any decaf Yogi Tea is wonderful.
Dancers eat desert. When choosing to eat desert its always a little hard because you know you shouldn't. However, you must treat your self for all of the work that you have done that day. Life is too short to avoid desert. Here are some dancer diet friendly options.
  • Frozen yogurt: Self serve fro yo is nice because you can choose exactly how much you want. Just be wise and practice moderation. 
  • Dark chocolate: Practice moderation here as well. One of my favorite treats are Justine's Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups. A few Toberlone Triangles are amazing too.
  • JUST one of something "bad". One Hostess cupcake, not three. One cookie, or half a cookie if your buying one thats bigger than your face. One small cup of regular ice cream. I am Ben and Jerry's lover. The most important thing is to just practice moderation.
Some dancers (ballet dancers specifically) don't eat enough and are too thin. I do not want to be like these dancers. I want and need to be thin, thats the reality of the business, but I also need to fuel my instrument and be healthy. 

I hope this dancer friendly diet was interesting and even helpful for you. I also hope that the diet showed you that not all dancers are worried about looking like a tooth pick. We eat well and are more normal than you'd think.

No comments:

Post a Comment