Friday, July 1, 2016

Mirror, Mirror, on the Wall, My Biggest Pet Peeve of All

Hey readers! 

Today's post is about my biggest pet peeve. We all have them, and mine is one that I see dancers do all the time. My pet peeve is when dancers CONSTANTLY look at themselves in the mirror while they are dancing. They check to see what their line looks like and if their leg is high enough. 

Our teachers ALWAYS ask us to avoid looking in the mirror and instead to feel what we are doing. No one listens and it drives me nuts. If I could write these mirror over users an anonymous letter it would say the following. 

To Those Whom Overuse the Mirror, Please stop checking yourself out in the middle of combinations during class. You are coming off as self-absorbed and ego centric to your teachers and fellow dancers, not to mention distorting the line of your head and neck.  You are better off achieving the lines and positions by feeling what you doing. If you look crazy your teachers will tell you. Staring at yourself as you dance across the floor is not going to make you a better dancer. Try focusing on performing and fully dancing each exercise. If you can find a way to look at yourself without sacrificing the integrity of your dancing, than fine, but it is beyond annoying to see you defy the authority of our teachers and stare at yourself in the mirror. 
I apologize for my rant. I would never actually give that letter to some of the dancers that over use the mirror. Sometimes it is just nice to get your frustrations out on paper. What about you guys? Do you have any pet peeves that you want to get out?


















No comments:

Post a Comment