Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Top Three Ballet Hairstyles: A How-To

Hey readers,

I received feedback a few weeks ago saying that it might be interesting to see how to create a perfect ballet bun. Well today is the day! I am going to explain how to create the three most popular dancer hairstyles. 

ClassiCinnamon Roll: This classic bun is the easiest one to create. First, put your hair in a ponytail anywhere you want on your head. I usually do a high ponytail, it gives me more height. Next, twist the hair and spiral it into a cinnamon roll share. Some people pin the hair after they've made the roll shape, but I pin as I go. This bun is great for rehearsals and sends a dedicated student vibe. I like it because it's fast, easy, and professional.


French Twist: This elegant do is what a lot of older professional ballerinas wear during company class or in company photoshoots. Choreographers often ask for French twists because of their unique look. As a result, I am often asking my friends to help me with one. They can be pretty challenging, so a good one will take a few tries. Watch this video because me explaining it will be more confusing than helpful.


The Giselle Bun: This is one of my favorite bun styles. It is inspired by the classical ballet, Giselle. Giselle is a delicate and sweet character who wears her hair in a low bun with a middle part. In performances, dancers swoop their hair over their ears on each side of their head. This creates an ethereal effect. I would avoid this for classes and rehearsals but on stage it's gorgeous! It's a similar concept to the classic Cinnamon roll, just part you hair in the middle and comb the hair over your forehead slightly. This video is a good visual.

There you have it! The three most worn dancer bun/hairstyles. Honestly, these styles are not just for dancers. I would wear any of them on a normal day in New York City. Happy hairdos readers! All for now!

1 comment:

  1. This is so fabulous, thank you so much for the informative post! I can barely walk across the floor without falling down and crippling myself (!!) but in my heart, I'm as graceful as a ballerina. Now at least my hair might fool people!

    Ha! Not likely. :D

    ReplyDelete