Saturday, July 23, 2016

Spize, Speaking With Your Eyes

Hey guys,

My goal for today's post is to share with you the importance and power of speaking with your eyes. Whether I am performing on stage, doing a Skype interview, or meeting some one for the first time, I try to emote and communicate with my eyes. No one I dance or interact with has the slightest clue that I am visually impaired because of the attention I put into my eyes. 

This skill has brought me recognition as a dancer and a wonderful ability to connect with everyone I meet. It's the reason why I'm able to make tons of friends and audience members cry. 

As you read, take note of the important italicized words. Use them as guidelines and you will speak with your eyes in no time. 

The process starts with confidence. When you get ready for your big speech, (or your hot date) be confident and know that you are going to give strong eye contact to whomever you will be speaking to. 

Unwavering and intentional eye contact is powerful. You don't want to creep anyone out by starring, but you need to really see and listen to whom your communicating with. This shows that you care about the interaction that's taking place. 

If you care about the interaction, then you are probably being completely present. This is so important! I cannot tell you how  many dance teachers have corrected us dancers on our lack of presence. Presence is captivating and allows people to see that you're genuinely involved in what ever it is that you are doing. 

You can be present during the simplest of activites. For example, my nieces, Noelle and Asher know if I'm fully present during our movie nights. If I watch and enjoy the movie, they notice, and the experience means more to them. If I stare into space, they feel like I'm not interested in being there with them. 

Avoid glazed-over eyes. This type of focus is the opposite of being present. It communicates nothing and looks like you're lazy or tired. The glazed over and blank expression can also mean that you're just deep in thought. 

A lot of times we have to get ourselves out of "internal mode" to use our eyes effectively. We forget to be external because we are stuck inside our heads. For me, a good example of this is seeing the transformation in dancers when they focus less on movement (overly internal) and more on dancing for the audience. 

There is nothing wrong with being an introverted person, but there will be times when you need to communicate with people, and you want those interactions to be positive and beneficial for you. 

We are not all performers, models, and public speakers. However, those of us who are must master the smize. To smize,  is to smile with your eyes. It's probably the easiest form of speaking with your eyes. Simply think about something positive (maybe that adorable boy you are texting) and let your eyes react. 

This is one of the most powerful tools I can give you. When you generate emotions through your eyes, people will automatically be intrigued by you. They will listen to you, see you, and respect you because of your magnetic persona. 

It all starts in the eyes. I am going to go out on a limb and say that success is 50% personality and 50% skill/hardwork. Speak with your eyes gives you more personality. It adds complexity and charisma to any type of interaction you have!

I speak with my eyes on a daily basis and have learned over the course of my life how powerful this skill can be. I may not see well of out them, but I've learned that I can use them to my advantage.

We all have this power in us. See if you can find and utilize your spize. If you find that it's working of you, comment and let me know!
 



1 comment:

  1. These are great tips - being present is the biggest thing for me, personally. If I'm out with someone (anyone) and they're not there with me, in the moment - it's just so much less than it could have been.

    great post!

    ReplyDelete